The Rules- Learn to play baccarat
Baccarat or Punto Banco is typically played in a designated casino zone. The playing table is around the size of a craps table with three casino distributeers and between 12 to 14 players.
There are only two principal bets to make: banker or player – Banco or Punto, in addition to the seldom used Standoff. A few casinos let the players distribute the cards in turn and others have a casino distributeer to distribute the cards. In online Baccarat the cards are distributed automatically by a virtual distributeer.
Every player, including the player distributeing, can bet on either Punto or Banco but it is typical for the distributeer to bet on Banco. Players can choose not to distribute, passing the ‘Shoe’ to the following player. The shoe stays with one player as long as the Bank wins. Whenever Punto wins, the shoe moves on to the following player.
Two hands are distributed and you bet which one will win, or that they will tie. It is only like betting on Black or Red at roulette, and the payoff is even money, 1:1 (except for the standoff, which pays 8-1 or 9-1). The only difference between the Banco and Punto bet is a win on Banco will cost you 5% commission or tax levied by the casino – the in-built advantage.
The reason for taxing the Banco is because it has been established that over an 8-deck cards play on average the Banco will win three to four hands more than the Punto.
Every hand consists of a minimum of two and a maximum of three cards. The person distributeing will put two cards, face down, tucked under the shoe, and give the player with the largest bet on Punto the other two cards, face down.
The Punto player then looks at the cards and gives them back to the player who is distributeing. Then the player who is distributeing will turn over the cards of both hands while one of the casino distributeers will announce the results and the winner.
Whenever either hand has a total of 8 or 9 (nine is the highest), then it is called a ‘Natural’ and no more cards are distributed. Whenever it is not a natural, then depending on the value of Every hand the casino distributeer can instruct the card distributeer to distribute a 3rd card. The decision when to distribute a 3rd card follows precise set rules used by all casinos.
Once distributeing is completed, the hand with the highest count wins. The paying casino distributeers will collect the losing bets first and then pay the winning ones. The player who actually distributes the cards is not responsible for the payouts. He is only like any other player, playing against the casino.
Baccarat is played from a six-deck or an eight-deck shoe. All face cards and 10s have no value. Cards under than 10 are worth at face value, Aces are worth 1. Suits do not count. Only single digit values are valid. Any count that rEveryes a double digit drops the left digit. 15 is worth as 5 and 25 is also worth as 5.
To begin, the players bet either on Banco or Punto or Standoff. The card distributeer gives two cards Every; first to the player and then the banker. The object of the game is to bet on the hand that you think will have the highest total value.
A 3rd card can be distributed to either or both the player (Punto) and the bank (Banco) based on the following three-card-rules. It is not essential to learn these rules to play, they are binding decisions and therefore automatic. Only on rare occurrences a mistake is made:
- If either the player or the bank have a total of 8 or 9 on the first two cards no further cards are drawn. The resulting hand is called a natural and the hand is over.
- Whenever the player’s total is under than or equal to 5 the player’s hand draws a 3rd card.
- Whenever the player does not draw a 3rd card, then the bank’s hand stands on 6 or more and takes a 3rd card on a total of 5 or less. Whenever the player does take a 3rd card then the Bank’s 3rd-card-rule below will determine Whenever the bank takes a 3rd card.
- Whenever the bank’s total is 2 or under then bank draws a card, regardunder of what the players 3rd card is.
- Whenever the banks total is 3 then the bank draws a 3rd card ununder the players 3rd card was an 8.
- Whenever the banks total is 4 then the bank draws a 3rd card ununder the players 3rd card was a 0, 1, 8, or 9.
- Whenever the banks total is 5 then the bank draws a 3rd card Whenever the players 3rd card was 4, 5, 6, or 7.
- Whenever the banks total is 6 then the bank draws a 3rd card Whenever the players 3rd card was a 6 or 7.
- Whenever the banks total is 7 then the bank stands.
Banker (Banco) 1.17%
Player (Punto) 1.36%
Tie (Standoff) 14.12% at 8:1 payout